Have you ever wondered where the term "MEMS" came from?
Read J.E. Wood's account:
See a map of who's downloading (last updated 7/11/16)
We need microsystems technicians NOW!
Microtechnology affects us on a daily basis through the cars we drive, the mobile devices we use, the health tracking devices we wear, and some of the games we play (just to name a few). Data is constantly being generated by micro-sized sensors inside these devices and collected by the Internet of Things (IoT). This is microtechnology. This is the present and the future. We need technicians NOW to keep up with the ever-growing demand for microsystems.
Do you want to get your students excited about a challenging and rewarding career in microsystems technology?
Do you want materials and assistance for integrating microsystems technology to teach STEM concepts in your classes?
Are you willing to dedicate your on time to learn a new topic and activity if it could all be done online and around your schedule?
Are you willing to integrate activities into a class and provide SCME with detailed feedback on the effectiveness of the activities in your classroom?
If you answer YES to these questions, then SCME's Hands-online Academy is for you. The Hands-online Academy is designed to remotely support and facilitate microsystems education by providing online, easy access to a variety of topics, supporting classroom materials, and personalized coaching.
Each topic provides the educational materials (reading materials, videos, and hands-on activities) needed to teach fundamental STEM concepts using microsystems applications. Many of the activities are supported with a SCME kit, available for purchase or free to those who qualify.
What are the topics in SCME's Hands-online Academy?
(Click on the link for more details on the following topics: Topic Descriptions)
- Career Pathways in MicroTech (MEMS) (~5 hours) - available NOW!
- Crystallography with Bulk Micromachining (~6.5 -11.5 hours) - available March 1, 2016
- Microcantilevers - available April 1, 2016
- BioMEMS Applications - available May 1, 2016
- Micro Pressure Sensors - available June 1, 2016
- Science of Thin Films - available July 1, 2016
To register for one or more of these topics, click this link: http://svy.mk/1imGDhs
If you need more information, then keep reading.
If a topic requires a SCME kit, you may request a free kit. In order to receive a free kit, you must agree to integrate at least one of the kit/topic activities into a class AND provide SCME with detailed feedback on your experience and those of your students. You must also be an educator within the United States. Educators outside the United States can purchase a kit at any time through the SCME Kit Store by clicking this link: http://bit.ly/1NpeDCp Free kits are available only while supplies last.
NOTE: Some of the materials, activities, and kits in Hands-online may be applicable to middle-school students.
Before introducing the materials and activities to your class, SCME will provide coaching online to help you with any questions you may have after the completion of the topic. We can show you how to use the kit, we can watch you as you use the kit, and we can coach you through any problems you may run into before, during and after integration.
How does SCME's Hands-online Academy work?
- You will be given 24/7 access to the online topic for you to study, refer to, and to use in your classroom.
- When you are ready, we send you a free kit (if you qualify).
- After going through the kit, if you feel like you need additional instruction, then you request a hands-online session with a SCME coach. During the online session, you will receive one-on-one coaching to answer all of your questions and to ensure that you are ready and comfortable before introducing the topic/activity to your students.
What do YOU have to do?
- Complete all online topic requirements before receiving a kit.
- Commit to integrate some of the material into your class(es).
- Provide feedback via a questionnaire as well as a one-on-one discussion with our evaluator as to your experience and those of your students.
Once a topic is available, it will be available indefinitely. You will have unlimited access to the topic and its materials. You can also schedule a coaching session with SCME any time after the availability date of a topic, whenever you are ready.
Sound good? Then what are you waiting for?
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER for Hands-online: http://svy.mk/1imGDhs